Thursday, April 12, 2007

Finally, a blog!!

Okay...well, my blogging is a bit behind. I've had some problems the last couple of days with this site. First it wouldn't let me on, something was wrong with my account, and then I had problems with sending the invites out, and then for some reason, I couldn't get my blog to post! Hopefully, this all works out!! Seesh!

Well, for starters, I took the assessments first. I was not too surprised by the results. I've taken similar personality tests and I am very aware of my own personality style, so there was no surprises. Well, okay, one surprise, but I'll get to that later!

My personal work style was Sympathetic and Cooperative, the Supportive Let's-All-Get-Along style. I like working behind the scenes, performing in consistent and predictable ways, and being a good listener.

My TAPT results was that I am a introverted, intuitive, thinker, and perceiver. I could have told you that!! :)

My surprise came from the results of the NeuroLinguistic Programming. Every single answer was the same letter. My results were 100% Kinesthetic. I had realized that before, but not to that extent. I am a very tactile person, enjoy sports and active learning. I think that these results also go along with being intuitive and perceptive. It involves feeling and listening to my body to understand how I feel about something.

The conflict management style that I most identified with is the Collaborating Owl. I tend to want to collaborate well with others and want all problems to be solved together. My second conflict management style was a tie between the Accommodating Teddy Bear and the Compromising Fox. This seems to make sense in that accommodating and compromising are both part of collaboration!

As for the barriers to communication, a variety of things will contribute to communication problems. I've found that environmental barriers often lead to miscommunication. Talking on the phone instead of speaking with someone face to face can sometimes lead people to misread who they are talking to or the message becomes misconstrued. This can also happen with emails because the "tone" of the email is difficult to read unless it is very, very clear! Verbal barriers in communication can be language differences or social differences. Members of different socioeconomic classes can have a hard time understanding what the other is trying to say due to the register they may be used to communicating in. Interpersonal barriers would be different personality styles, social anxieties, or communicating with preconceived notions about another person.

To minimize barriers people should enter into communication without preconceived notions, preferably face to face, without judgement and attempts to read the tone of the person, and if there are noted communication barriers such as language differences then proper steps should be taken to minimize those barriers such as a translator or any special needs equipment.

2 comments:

jwalton said...

Well said, Shannon. I liked your point on "tone". That is something I did not think of when I was completing this assignment, but it's very true. Along with facial expressions and body language, tone goes a long way in the process of successful communication.

Thanks for the enlightenment, Shannon.

jamielynnrodriguez said...

I actually turned out to be a competing shark, which I am not too proud of. I would have liked to get the collaborating owl like you. =) Kinesthetic also dominated on my end. It was something I knew from the beginning because I know how important my feelings are when I make decisions.