Thursday, April 26, 2007

Week 3 Reading

I enjoyed this weeks reading, both the Week 3 Handouts and the reading in the text. I thought the article about sexual discrimination was interesting and how perception of the situation strongly affects the situation. Many women are hesitant to address the situation because of how they feel they will be perceived by others. And that the perception creates a lack of justice about the situation. I can really see the truth in this and yet this is such a sad and unjust reality.

I really enjoyed reading Chapters 9 and 10 in our text. Chapter 9 I found very interesting about the psychology behind negotiation. I found the information on perception and the stubble need for power over others in the negotiation process very eye opening. Chapter 10 was very interesting, but I was also a bit annoyed by it. I thought it was slightly condescending toward women and was shocked that it was written by a woman. Considering the year it was written though, I think that today more women are involved in the negotiation processes and they are very strong in these places. I think that what the author thought was weaknesses for women in the negotiation processes are actually strengths. I feel that women have the power to understand why people do things and can be more accepting of differences which would actually give them more strength in the negotiation process.

3 comments:

jwalton said...

Good synopsis of the handout, Shannon. I agree with you in that I see them as strengths too, not weaknesses. Women are very important to the negotiation process. There's no doubt that men and women think/operate differently, so a team comprised of both would be stronger than without.

Good post.

PrettyTony31 said...

Absolutely! Women and men working together is obviously a better way to negotiate. Having people on the "team" that think differently than one another is without a doubt priceless.
It forces people to get out of their particular comfort zone.

Debra Davenport said...

Excellent points, Shannon. Thank you for your astute commentary and observations!

Dr. D.

P.S. Good blog so far!!