Thursday, April 26, 2007

Telephone Roleplay Week 3

This week I spoke to Geroganna, who is also a group member of mine. We spoke for about 45 minutes and really had a good time talking. We discussed our group and the class, and got to know each other a bit.

For our role play, we took a situation straight from my life. I played the employee who was coming to my boss for a raise due to my quality of work. This is true as my boss is negotiating my pay raise with the school board due to my quality of work! In this scenario I was asking my “boss” Geroganna for a raise because I had recently created lesson plans and classroom strategies to help the anger management for a group of overly aggressive boys in my preschool classroom. I was asking for a pay raise due to these constructive strategies that have created a more peaceful classroom and helped the boys manage their anger. The lesson plans that I created involved taking the boys as a small group and teaching them specific anger management strategies and discussions about feelings because they all have difficulty with empathy. I took this into the classroom and use behavior modification charts as well as the “angry bag” which contains a variety of ways they can take out their anger without hurting themselves or others. This bag contains a pillow they can yell into or hit, clay to squeeze or pound, and different rubber balls to squeeze. Based on these lesson plans and constructive strategies, I strongly felt I deserved a raised.

Based on my strong arguments my boss, Geroganna, did agree that I deserved a raise. She said that she recognized my hard work, dedication, and strong ability to implement these strategies in the classroom. She said that they only thing she would like to see from me was to teach other teachers about these strategies and if they had questions be available to answer the questions. We both agreed to this and agreed to a 3% salary increase based on the school districts salary increase policies.

Overall this was an easy and fun conversation. It was neat to use a real situation as our example.

No comments: